jueves, febrero 23, 2012

Australia

Few things I have noticed during my stay.

- Don't do city tourism. Even though some of them are big, most of the time the monuments and activities will be dissapointing if you come form an European country (or a country that has more than 100 years, I mean). You can still find nice places in Sydney and Perth, but the real beauty of this country lies in the raw nature.

- Bubble tea and such. I have talked about this millions of times, but specially in Western Australia (I should just say Perth, there is nothing else there anyway). Drink it at least once, if you have not gone to China this will be a discovery. If you have, just enjoy the memories XD.

- Distances. They are huge. Everything is so far away that you can only travel by plane. East coast is better, tough

- Look at the sky at night. Southern hemisphere sky is beautiful and bright, and Australia's atmosphere is so clear you can actually see the black part of the moon when it's not full. I never got tired of it (Also: Orion in spring-summer sky)

- Vegemite. It's disgusting but you have to try it.

- Hitting a kangaroo when in a not-so-close to the city road is something that has a 90% chance of happening. Specially at dusk and dawn.

- People actually want to know about your day when they ask you. Yes, cashiers from supermarkets want to talk to you.

- Heating and good isolation of houses is unknown in this continent, I won't even go into the "blind problem", because only Spain has blinds by the looks of things. But then again, it's always summer in Perth, ISN'T IT? (Hint: no)

- Beware of the sun. Seriously. I have only got sunburnt after applying 30+ sunscreen once in my life. In Exmouth. (And I have been to Mexico, Cuba, Florida, Egipt and the South of Spain. Okay, I was not snorkelling for hours but you get my point)

- Eat kangaroo, crocodile and emu. You won't be able to do that again in your life. Kangaroo is actually one of the cheapest meats you can find at the supermarket, and it is delicious. Emu pies can be found in some of the road shops both sides of the Perth-Bunbury road (near Binningup there is a nice one). Crocodile is the trickiest, but hey, I can't give everything away, can I?

-Beware fo the wind. Windsurfing wasn't invented here without a reason, even in summer (or at least, the beggining of it) wind can make the sand of a beach hit you painfully and bury your towel in less than 30 minutes. It's pretty annoying most of the time and worsens currents when snorkelling (after all, why would you go to a beach in Australia if not for snorkelling?).

- Barbie is not a doll, and Brekkie is not a dog food brand. Neither is Bogan some kind of burguer. You need these three words, the rest of the australianisms are not that important, but these...

- Barefootness is commonplace, part of their culture. Actually if you see somebody barefoot in Europe, chances are he or she is australian. (And no, they do not understand why that is dangerous or unhygienic)

... I have more, but given the lenght of this post I may do a second part sometime instead of boring you to death in one text.

No hay comentarios: